Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Vive la crêpe!

My boyfriend and I decided to have a little New York getaway trip this past weekend. The plan was to quickly hit Chinatown to get some grocery items and off to Mitsuwa festival. Sidetrack story: We were late to the September Hokkaido Fair at Mitsuwa and the special event ramen noodles were sold out, so we wanted to get there early this time. We did get there earlier this time, around 1pm, got in line and damn it, still sold out! UGH! OK, back to my crêpe story.

We parked the car somewhere in SoHo and started strolling down to Chinatown. The weather was surprisingly pleasant, cool and sunny. It was a nice comfortable walk and my eyes were just swimming around checking out the stores and locked on to the word crêpe in one of the window displays. I tapped my boyfriend and told him about it, he had wanted crêpe for dessert the night before but we were too full and just couldn't shove in any more food. We hadn't had breakfast yet and Mitsuwa was still a couple hours away, so he said, "let's go try it." Hehehe....I was actually smiling from within, I love crêpe and I was getting hungry!

It's a small cafe with a couple of tables, a window-facing bar table and there were a few people around the tables enjoying their coffee. It's a nice cozy setup, definitely a good ambiance. The cafe has both savory and sweet crêpes but is a no brainy for me, I always get the sweet ones. I ordered the Nutella with Mixed Berries and the chef started cooking.  He was very generous with the berries, the berries covered up a good portion of the crêpe. And yes, the price is expensive, it's $9.25 including tax almost $10 for just a crêpes, I didn't order anything else. But when the chef handed the crêpes to me, I have forgotten about the price. It's huge, definitely enough for my boyfriend and I to share! The thickness is perfect, not too thin or too thick. It's crispy on the outside and soft in the inside enclosed in a paper sleeve. There are plenty of berries in every bite, the Nutella had warmed up to the right temperature but not too sweet at all...it's perfect to taste!

We were licking our fingers when we were done, and that's how you know something is good enough to share! What can I say, that's the perfect breakfast to go along a morning walk down the SoHo streets! :)  Below is the website to the cafe and some pictures. Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. next time if i go there maybe i will give it a try. hehe
    thx for sharing

    ReplyDelete