Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My First Time Flying (AV-ED Sport Pilot Center)

My friend, Sze, is currently working on his Sport Pilot license and he invited me to the pilot school, AV-ED Sport Pilot Center, grand opening this past weekend. I've always wanted to learn how to fly, so I was pretty excited about this event. I understand that this is a very time consuming and expensive extra curriculum activity, so I have no definite plan taking on the license path at the moment.  However, I highly encourage anyone who is interested to at least try the introductory flight lesson, which is what I did.  The cost is just under $100, so it's very acceptable, remember we are talking about a flying lesson here.


What I loved about the introductory class is that the instructor actually made me walk through all the safety steps with him, checking the body of the plane, fuel level, fuel clarity to engine oil.  I actually feel like a real pilot!  I was surprised that the take off was nothing like my normal flight take off experience. This is a very small aircraft, it can only carry two people, so it didn't require much of a runway and it just lifted itself up like a bird, very smooth. And my instructor was really good, he gave me as much opportunity as possible to take control of plane during the whole flight.  For about ten seconds when he had to grab my camera and to take photos of me, I was completely flying solo, too cool.  The other thing was that I thought I was going to be very nervous, I didn't want to make a fool of myself.  But to my surprise, I was so occupied, constantly checking the attitude, the speed and tightly holding on to the control that I didn't have much time to worry about anything else.  I guess the only rough part of the entire adventure is the landing, it was a bit windy that day and the instructor had to swivel the control a bit to level the plane.  And first hand experience, mastering landing is really the toughest part of learning how to fly.


It was a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon, time well spent!  And thank you to my friend, Sze, for adding such a wonderful and thrilling chapter in my life!  Below are some photos and a short video of the instructor showing me how to check the fuel.  Life is too short, you got to at least try this once in your lifetime!  :D

      
 

2 comments:

  1. Skin Care Centre is a highly sophisticated laser that gently and precisely removes the top layer of the sun-damaged and aging skin. New skin cells resurface the treated area and lay down new collagen that is indistinguishable from that newborn undamaged skin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you did great in your first flight! When I had my flying lessons, I was afraid of the landing procedure and I landed a little bit roughly. In time, soon I got better. I was determined to learn and I did. You should go with your dream! You could be a natural seeing that you managed to keep the plane on the air by yourself. You should push through with it, and you might even surprise yourself.

    Cash Carroll

    ReplyDelete